Friday, September 22, 2006

My one year stay in Germany


One year in Deutschland...sep23th 2005 and now sep23th 2006...so fast...with lots of excitement,with lots of fun,with lots of stress,with lots of loneliness,with lots of disappointments and at the end of the day when I look at the calendar ...it says 'Iam in Germany for one year...'.

The journey started off with emotions and sentiments and excitement at the airport when I took my first flight journey...Chennai-London-Hamburg...The first initial days were really exciting to experience the hanseatic city of Hamburg...new people,new culture,new language,new food,new education,new life altogether.I thoroughly enjoyed my initial stay in Hamburg...but after that slowly winter started to creep in..slowly homesick started to play its role...slowly stomach started to speak..:) slowly studies started to accumulate...slowly euros started to threaten..and in peak winter it all blasted...I had one of the toughest mental depression during winter which I havent faced before...

Technically I didnt learn much because it was just a repitition of what I did in Bachelors...except for few subjects and courses in which some Professors were really awesome..Exams...certainly not like in India..did some thinking in exams after a long gap of time...At the end of the day....when I look at my technical learning in this one year...I would say...hardly few things...More than technical aspect,I have
learnt other aspects of life ...to lead a life on my own legs...(cooking,washing,time management,cost management,international exposure)...My best moments which I had in Germany is certainly my parttime programming job which gave me great job satisfaction and had a chance to meet great personality Dr.Juan Rechid.....

Once the winter went...it appeared as if new life started to begin..with sunshine most of the time...sun rising at 4 in the morning and setting at 11 in the night...gave me real freshness..clarity in thinking....and summer was mostly occupied with Worldcup football...One of the best moments I had in Germany is during this time..especially cheering up for Germany in bars along with German colleagues..it was just quite opposite to what I experienced in winter...Had a chance to go to Hockey worldcup as well...unfortunately India's worst ever performances in Worldcup tournaments...my long dream of watching International match when India plays in abroad has been fulfilled....

Thanks to my schengen visa...Got some chance to explore various parts of europe...Paris,Berlin,Bremen,Köln,Dortmund,Dusseldorf,Ham,Konstanz,Sylt(nude beach)and looking forward to cover some more places before I finish my studies...Friends...made some real good german friends...and ofcourse newly found close friends but had some misunderstandings with some international friends...but I dont mind them since they arent worth to be called as friends...

More than technical aspect,I learned various other aspects to lead a life individually...I would rate this one year in Germany as 7 on a scale of 10...It will be bad if i say Germany is Bad...I certainly enjoyed my stay here for one year but but I MISS INDIA,I MISS MY MOM...INDIA IS CERTAINLY THE BEST.....

Sathish Kumar S

No comments: