Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas Eve with Henrik family :)

Snow capped alpine trees, Church bells ringing around, Christmas gifts all round the shopping malls, Tanenbaum (Christmas trees) with their flashing lights, prayers round the corners, I was just wondering couldn’t be a normal day. It wasn’t indeed. It was Christmas eve. Henrik, my colleague invited me to celebrate Christmas evening with his family. I was really surprised when I got the invitation from him.

Started off the evening with prayers in the Church, followed by wonderful dinner. Oh my goodness I should do lot of sports in the next year to reduce all the fat which I accumulated over the past few weeks during Christmas time. Really awesome dinner with absolute varieties of Cheese, Butter, Salamis, meat, Bread etc. Then followed by a game with the dice to distribute the gifts which everybody bought. If I attend next few Christmas eve with Henrik, I guess my houses can be decorated with full of gifts…no need to shop anymore ;) In the beginning, I was just concerned of how the evening would be because it’s a family fest that too with Oma (Grandma). Honestly, it was Oma who stole the show. Reminds me of my typical Oma in India….Then remembered Shakespeare’s “All the world’s a stage”….the second childhood…Could listen to her experiences about post world-war scenario and many other things of Germany’s transformation.

I always used to tease Henrik as Senior Consultant. Of course that’s his designation. It really amazes me how he separates professional and social life. I should really thank him who greatly helped me to integrate in to German society by inviting me for many social gatherings. I thank Henrik and Sarah who provided excellent opportunity to experience some thing special Heiligabend (Christmas eve) in Germany. Definitely an experience which will reside in my memory for long time. Vielan Dank Henrik!

Henrik’s famous phrase: Programmer: The device for converting coffee into software. :D
Cheers,
Sathish Kumar S

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Satish,

You are really lucky that you are treated well in Germany. Its totally op. with me. I m from India and working in Germany. Daily i have to face very rude comments from my coll. its getting so diff. for me to stay here.
This is my short story!