Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Mini Runs and Triathlon




Recently I had a chance to take part in Triathlon in Kovalam beach, Chennai. 750 m Swimming in the sea, 20 km Cycling and 5 Km Running. I was very skeptical to take part in swimming since I never swam in the sea for a long stretch. I even decided to cancel the swimming and take part only in Duathlon i.e. Running and Cycling. The Organizers gave lot of confidence to take part in Swimming by saying there will be lot of life guards, kayaks, buoys in the sea. Got up early and went to the Kovalam beach in the morning at 5.30 AM and saw the tides were very low in the morning. My inner instinct said, I need to do swimming and complete the full stretch irrespective of the time it takes.


The first 100m were the difficult part since one has to swim against the tides. After crossing 100m I was asking for the help of life guard to follow me. Thanks to Ibrahim who followed me in Kayak with lot of patience and motivated me to complete the full stretch. I took enough breaks in between by touching the tip of the Kayak and did enough breathing to continue with the stretch. Thanks to Wild Warrior Racing club for conducting the first Triathlon in Chennai. Swimming is the toughest part and I completed the cycling and running with ease. 



Anish ran his maiden run of 1Km in Dawn to Dusk event in Anna University. He thoroughly enjoyed his run in the circular tracks for the cancer patients. Then he ran 5Km in Besant Nagar beach with his mom and dad, the first 3 Km was not at all a problem for him, the rest 2 Km was bit of a challenge for him. Then he ran 3Km for saving the turtles in Palavakkam beach. It was a good start and exposure for him w.r.t running and fun in the social events. The MEPZ 10Km run along with Kalai was a day to remember. It was so fun to run around the MEPZ campus which was a huge one. Then I did Half Marathon (21.1) Kms along with Kalai who did a great job on his maiden run. Anita and Anish did 3 Kms and gave us the company in the finishing lap.


Cheers,
Sathish Kumar S

No comments: